Below is a list of the skills/content we have been covering so far this term:
- Reading and writing sight words correctly.
- Finding clues in texts to help us make meaning and to develop inferential thinking.
- Guided Reading: Using strategies such as decoding, picture clues, chunking words into smaller parts and re reading the sentence with a tricky word to determine what makes sense in the sentence.
- Sequencing events in stories and retelling them with good detail.
- Using drama as a means to retell and act out the events in the stories.
- Writing and reading simple sentences and editing our sentences to make sure they include capitals, finger spaces, sounding out, correctly written sight words and full stops.
- Learning about compound sentences (e.g, An expanded sentence that uses a joining word such as ‘and’).
- Recounts: Learning the structure of a recount and what to include. E.g, ‘when’, ‘who’ ‘what’, ‘why’ and ‘feelings’?
- PA: Deleting initial and medial sounds from words and substituting them with a new sound which changes the word. E.g, ‘jump’ without the ‘j’ but with a ‘p’ becomes ‘pump’.
- Duration of time: Ordering events in time from least to most amount of time and discussing events in the past (yesterday), present (today) and future (tomorrow), measuring duration of time using informal measures such as “how many times you can bounce a ball in the time it takes to write your name”?
- Ordinal number: Extending now from 1st to 20th. Understanding that ordinal number means the ‘position’ or ‘place’ of something, writing ordinal numbers and identifying ordinal position of objects and people.
- Statistics and Probability: This week we will be exploring ‘chance’ and ‘probability’. We will be teaching the students the language and meaning of the vocabularly ‘likely’, ‘unlikely’, ‘possible’, ‘impossible’, ‘certain’ and ‘uncertain’ and will explore activities that make us think about the probability of different events occurring. We will also be doing some activities that require us to ‘graph’ and ‘record’ information of events/situations that occur by chance.
- We are learning all about materials and what things are made of and why?
- Geography: We have been learning about our immediate surroundings at home, in our community and at school. We drew a layout of our home and identifyied what our basic needs are and how our homes provide us with our needs. We also drew a map from our home to our school which helped us to think about all the things that surround us in our superb. We continue to explore ‘Australia’ and have discussed the different states and cities in Australia and where they occur on a map of Australia.
Enjoy some photos of some recent learning experiences: